Sunday, January 19, 2014

The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd   


Gave it 5 out of 5 stars.
This is my new favorite book by Sue Monk Kidd. It was a great read from beginning to end. I love how she mixed in factual history with her own interpretation of the lives of the Grimke sisters. As regards how she described the torment and cruelty to the slaves, her writing amazed me. Some of the practices that was used to punish slaves back then was just horrible. I am glad that we have grown from that time. If I lived back then I surely would have been more like the Grimke sisters. I think my favorite part of the book was the author's note. I especially like the last quote which was her inspiration for writing the book, "History is not just facts and events. History is also a pain in the heart and we repeat history until we are able to make another's pain in the heart our own." Professor Julius Lester  

No comments:

Post a Comment